Tuesday 13 May 2014

My Thoughts on Germany's World Cup Side

Germany recently named their provisional 30-man World Cup squad for Brazil 2014. Whilst there was the usual suspects like Ozil, Lahm, Neuer, Schweinsteiger but it also threw up a few surprising call-ups. I'm mostly going to talk about three Schalke players in Leon Goretzka, Julian Draxler and Max Meyer.

I did a career mode on FIFA with Schalke so I was aware they had a few talented youngsters and if I had Setanta Sports I'd be watching them play every week. Goretzka and Meyer are the youngest and most inexperienced players on the German side and I'm hoping that the can crack the 23 man squad and make the trip to Brazil.

I'll admit that I don't really know Goretzka too well but I watched Max Meyer play against Chelsea in the UEFA Champions League and he is extremely talented for his age. At just 18 he may very well be playing for Germany in the upcoming FIFA World Cup and I couldn't be happier. He's just one of the continuous talented youth products from Germany. It's quiet stunning how the German's just keep developing these youngsters.

Draxler as well is only young but is highly-rated and was heavily rumoured to be making a move to Arsenal before last season. He'll surely be in the final 23 man squad and it's well deserved. He can get forward and score goals as he's proven time and time again for Schalke.

Germany play Poland later tonight so I'll be having a look at the highlights and seeing if the three Schalke youngsters get a run. I still think Germany will win the World Cup if Brazil don't. They were my tip in South Africa and they're my tip now if the hosts don't get the trophy. I know Australia probably won't make the Round of 16 so I'll be ready to cheer Germany onto victory.

It's youngsters like Meyer, Goretzka and Draxler that make the World Cup so memorable, so special. They have the chance to make an impact on a stage like no other.

Germany play against Ghana, USA and Portugal in Group G of the World Cup. Here are their fixtures:


Germany vs. Portugal
June 16, 2014, 13:00 local time
Arena Fonte Nova, Salvador

Germany vs. Ghana
June 21, 2014, 16:00 local time
Estadio Castelao, Fortaleza

United States vs. Germany
June 26, 2014, 13:00 local time
Arena Pernambuco, Recife

No comments:

Post a Comment