Monday 28 April 2014

Manly's Big Win Against Canberra

When Kieran Foran was ruled out of the next month, I had some doubts about Manly keeping it together in the coming weeks but after Sunday's 54-18 drubbing over the Raiders, I'm feeling confident about Manly's potential this year and beyond.

Over the last few years, Manly haven't been a team to blood young players in the NRL but the emergence of Peta Hiku this year has been a big positive for the future of an obviously aging Manly side. As good as the last decade has been, Manly's players are getting older by the year and they need younger players to step up over the next few seasons.

I rarely watch Manly's Under 20's play but I know that the Sea Eagles are a struggling team in both the Holden Cup and the SG Ball competitions. Manly are not a team with a very impressive junior base. In fact I see the Northern Beaches as more of a rugby union sanctuary compared to rugby league. 

Anyway, yesterday was the debut of Jack Littlejohn and to say I was impressed would be an understatement. A little research tells me Littlejohn is a Wagga junior who moved to the Sydney Roosters and played NSW Cup for the Bulldogs last season. Manly signed him up for this season and once again, the recruitment team at Manly have discovered another potential talent. 

I'm not going to get ahead of myself but I am very much looking forward to the future at Manly, both this season and beyond. The golden generation with your Stewarts, Watmoughs and Lyons may be coming to an end in the coming years but Manly are preparing for the inevitable with precision. The game against the Storm in Melbourne in two weeks time will be a true test for Manly.

-Ty Stedman

No comments:

Post a Comment